Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Application QBright for Android

I published one of my first applications for Android to The Android Market. It is called QBright. The application allows quick and easy adjustment of display brightness. You can launch it from anywhere just by long pressing the 'search' button. It contains four editable buttons for quick adjustment.

The main purpose of its publication to The Android Market is testing how this process goes. Although the application itself is very simple I found it very helpfull. I've been using it for almost a year.

Recent changes

Version 1.5 (26.9.2011):
  • Now, you can disable automatic brightness control faster than ever. Because manual brightness change causes automatic brightness control to turn off (thanks Melvyn for suggestion).
  • New application icon.
  • New yellow theme was added.

Version 1.4 (15.8.2011):
  • New switch was added. It enables you to turn on/off the automatic brightness control.
  • Now you can support the development of application. If you want to appreciate my work, you can send me a donation to encourage the further development of the application. Or you can use 'Donate' button on this website.

Version 1.3:
  • For each quick adjustment button there is an option to hide it

Version 1.2:
  • Option to automatically close the application when brightness is selected

Version 1.1:
  • Brightness adjustment now uses percentages
  • Application includes ActionBar with 'close' button

Application QBright.

Preferences.

Launch it from anywhere
just by long pressing
the 'search' button.
Now you can turn on/off the
automatic brightness control.

Ability to hide button(s).
    I am also planning to publish my bachelor's thesis to The Android Market. It is costs of running a car administration Android application called My Car. The manual is available on the internet, but only in Czech language for now (updated - English translation has been added).

    6 comments:

    1. Congratulations for your bachelor's degree. QBright has a perfect mix of features and usability (on an HTC Desire 2.2). I have one suggestion and one little wish. My suggestion is: why not speed things up further by allowing the selection of any of the 4 preset buttons or a change in the brightness slider to deactivate "automatic brightness" without having to deactivate it manually (perhaps as a setup option)? That would be one less "tap" to switch from "auto brightness" to any other brightness level. The little wish is to have a slightly less bland vanilla icon. I use the app icon (not so much the long press on the search button) and, naturally, it sits in all its glory on the main home screen. It would be nice to have a really nice icon there (I know it's not so easy to do). Adding colour may be a bit better already. Best wishes. Melvyn.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you very much for your ideas and your donation. Your first suggestion is really good! I will do it as soon as possible.
      On the other hand, new application icon is a little bit more difficult for me, because I don't feel like graphic designer. Anyway, I will try to design a new one. Hopefully, I won't make it worse.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thank you for making this great app. I have one suggestion: my phone (and many phones don't have 'Search' button. If you can provide and option to start app by long pressing the "back" soft key/button it would be great. Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Jan, very nice job on QBright. A question: exactly how does the auto feature work? It adjusts screen brightness based on what? And a suggestion: maybe two more settings, for a total of six.

      Thanks!
      DD

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi, it just turns on android system feature, if light sensor is present.

        Delete
    5. Will QBright work on the Samsung Galaxy S3 that has no search button? If it works, how do you activate it?

      ReplyDelete